Wednesday, July 27, 2011

Review: Water for Elephants

It has been way too long.

I hope everyone is enjoying their summer! The reason I haven't posted in so long is because I'm in two plays and working four days a week. I'm even busier than I was when I was in school! I read Water for Elephants a month (or two?) ago before the movie came out. I haven't had a chance to see the movie yet. I know many people may have already read this, but if you haven't you definitely should because this is one of the best books I've ever read.



Water for Elephants is told by Jacob Jankowski and the book goes from him in a rest home to him as a young man in the circus. There's romance (with Marlena, a performer) and conflict (with August, Marlena's cruel and arrogant husband). There's also humor (much of it provided by Walter/Kinko a dwarf clown who performs with his dog). I do admit that I did laugh out loud in parts of the book and there were many times where I wanted to cry. This book is a wonderfully told story and the language Sara Gruen uses is so beautiful and captivating. I really had no complaints about this book. It's a very inspiring story that Jacob found a place for himself in the circus and worked hard to achieve what he wanted.

I chose to read Water for Elephants because:

1. I wanted to read it before I saw the movie
2. I heard rave reviews about it
3. I never knew much about how the circus business was in the early age.

I used to attend Barnum & Bailey circuses when I was younger and you'll find if you read WFE that circuses now are much different then circuses back then. I always love when I can learn how something started and came to be what I know so well today. It's shocking the conditions that humans and animals were kept in back then when on a traveling show.


5-Book Rating System

I give Water for Elephants:

5 out of 5 books!


Who Should Read This?
  • Fans of Sara Gruen's other books
  • People who love circuses
  • People who want to know more about circuses
  • Anyone looking for a good story that has a little bit of everything in it


I really loved this book and would recommend it to anyone. I just need to see the movie now!

Expect a review of Dreams of Joy coming this week or next.

Currently I'm reading:

Tale of Two Cities (for school)
The Last Lecture (I've been reading bits and pieces of this for a few months now)
One Day (wanted to finish it before the movie comes out in August!)

Comment on this post and tell me what types of books you're reading this summer! :)



Till next time!





Photo Credit:
Book cover from Well-Read Reviews
Book animated images from photobucket.com



1 comment:

  1. Hi Camra, I just finished reading "Water for Elephants"!! You were right! It is a wonderful book by Sara Gruen. I'm glad you posted this book on your blog, because it gave me an idea about what the book was about. I've never read a book about a circus before, nor the various characters that are sometimes in a circus!! I loved the contrast of Jacob's life as a young man in the circus and an older man in the rest home. I plan to rent the video real soon and watch that. I love your "lit bit" blog. Love you, Granny.

    ReplyDelete