Monday, October 11, 2010

Review: The Hunger Games, Hurt List

I really have so much I want to say this week that I really am not sure how to fit it all in so this post isn't 5 billion pages long. (That might be an exaggeration).

SO! I joined every other reader on the Earth and finally read The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins. Best. Book. Ever. In order to make this post shorter, I will only do five top points, so a ftp?

Photo Credit : Wikipedia

FTP: The Hunger Games
  1. This book (series) also takes place in a futuristic society that I am guessing is our society in a few hundred or thousand years or maybe our modern society never really existed and it just jumped to "Panem". 
  2. This book is not for the weak-stomached, I mean it's not extremely gory with awful descriptions that make you want to turn away, but it makes sure you get the point.
  3. This book has action, romance, and comedy. An "all-in-one" in a non-cheesy way.
  4. I won earrings in a contest by iHeart Daily and they say "District 12" on them, you'll know what that means if you read the book! I feel special because I have them. And no I didn't wear them while reading. :)
  5. I really felt like I was right there with Katniss (the main character) while she was experiencing all of these horrible events and it was thrilling and scary at the same time! 
This book is available in hardcover & paperback. If you haven't read it yet, READ IT.
It's a perfect book for pretty much anyone who likes action, adventure, and a teensy-weensy bit of science fiction. It's a very thrilling book and much to my happiness the second book Catching Fire came in the mail today! WOO!

So the second book I read this week (cause apparently all I do is read) is The Hate List by Jennifer Brown. This is Jennifer Brown's debut novel that I mentioned last week. I gave in and went to the library right before we left to go to Maine for the weekend and I finished the book that night. It was so good and so addicting. I literally could not put it down.

Photo Credits : Jennifer Brown's Website

FTP: The Hate List
  1. This book deals with very emotional topics and brought me to tears at least once while reading.
  2. While reading and after I felt like I had a better understanding of how people feel who are bullied everyday. I think everyone has been bullied at least once in their life, but not many know what it feels like to go through it everyday and this book really opens up that view into their life.
  3. The characters are mostly juniors and the book chronicles their junior and senior year of high school, so if you like to read more toward your age there you go.
  4. One of the things I really liked about this book was how the chapters switched between the present time and the day of the shooting, the transitions were done very nicely and it wasn't too confusing.
  5. One of the things I didn't like as much, and this could just be because I'm weird, was how the main character kept flashing back and retelling stories as she thought of them as the book progressed. I just, I don't know, I guess I was impatient, because I really wanted to keep reading the book. But these flashbacks are crucial to the character development of the story and the back story so I'm not really sure why they sort of bothered me, because they need to be there...
This book was very powerful. 
It delivered strong messages about bullying. A subject that I feel strongly on.
We've all seen in the news recently that their have been many suicides because of people being bullied.
I think everyone was been a bully at least once and been bullied at least once in their lives. 
Bullying doesn't need to happen.
Just think about this: Everyone has feelings. Everyone's feelings can be hurt. Everyone's feelings can be uplifted. 



So coming up, I am having a very busy week so I can't promise that I will be reading a book, hopefully I'll choose something, but right now my book is:

Photo Credit : Amazon

Oh! But I do want to add a book to my reading list.
Hilary Duff (one of my life role models) came out with her debut novel, Elixir. It actually officially comes out tomorrow, but you can read the first 5 chapters on Simon & Schuster. I'm liking it so far!


Photo Credit : Amazon

Even if I don't end up reading a book this week, I'll definitely be excited next week to talk about some upcoming plans for my blog and hopefully upcoming books that I will read!


Till next time! (:


No comments:

Post a Comment